Friday, October 09, 2009

Superman: World of New Krypton #8 - DC

This was a good issue. I really liked it. For some reason the Thanagarians have come into the space of New Krypton. I think it had something to do with the moon of Jupiter that the Kryptonians were dragging back to New Krypton. Anyways, as usual, the Thanagarians assume that the Kryptonian armada is an invasion fleet. I guess they didn't realize that the ships were anchored to the moon and trying to haul it across space. Anyways, hostilities escalate and the Thanagarians shoot down the Kryptonian ship that was transporting the moon. Now it's reeling out of control and heading straight towards New Krypton. The funny part was, the Thanagarian leader was ready to lay down her life and die in battle as she thought her ship was about to explode. But just before the core overloads . . Kal-El and some other Kryptonians show up and save her ship. But they can't stick around to explain because they have more pressing matters that require their attention . . the stopping of a planet shattering moon. Anyways, long story short, the mass and momentum of the moon is almost to much for even the Kryptonians to handle. That is until the Thanagarians jump in with their Nth metal to help save the day. The problem was, the Thanagarians were basing their assumptions on their encounters with Kryptonians in the past. There's a long dark history between these 2 races. But, having seen the errors of their ways . . on both sides . . they've decided to head into discussion and try to reach an accord between their 2 races. However, it may be to late as at the end of the series the diplomatic speeches are interrupted by a being from yet another planet. Full of cock and swagger, Jemm comes into the room. 'You blunder around this system as if you own it . . but others were here first. I am Jemm. And I speak for my people, and on their behalf I ask you . . where is your courtesy now?' Remember Jemm: Son of Saturn, from way back when? Man that's been a while . . 1984. Yes he's popped up in some other space series since, but for the most part we haven't really seen much of this guy since the 12 issue mini-series that was his introduction. Apparently he's not happy with the Kryptonians stealing one of their moons. Like I said, I thought this was a great issue. I really like the way that Greg Rucka and James Robinson handled these 2 different races. I especially liked how a mutual misunderstanding almost resulted in their mutual destruction. I have to admit, so far this series has been the exception to my 12 issue maxi-series rule. This one has stayed relative and pertinent while expanding upon the story of this race and their planet. Not to mention Kal-El's involvement in it. I also think that Pete Woods and Ron Randall are doing a phenomenal job with the art. Not to mention the Gary Frank and Joe Kubert covers. All in all I'm very impressed with this book. I know that all of this will become part of Superman's cast of characters when this is all over, but . . I'm really hoping that they can do something to show more about this planet and it's people. Maybe a third story in Adventure each month. It should be interesting to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment