Friday, October 09, 2009

Justice League - Cry for Justice #4 - DC

I finally get around to reading this issue. It kills me when I see something this good sitting in my pile, but I have to wait to read it. Again, I have to say that I think James Robinson is doing an incredible job here. I especially liked his narrative at the back of the book where he's talking about Mikaal Tomas and his involvement with the Starman series. It was very informative. It appears that Mikaal will be taking on a bigger appearance in the DC Universe, and specifically the League, after this series. I think that's fantastic. Anyways, we start out with our group surviving the blast that was buried in Clay-face. Remember . . he was posing as Prometheus last issue? It seems that Freddy, with his wisdom of Solomon, is providing the greatest insight into this attack. He thinks that Prometheus is trying to get into their heads. Meanwhile Jay and M'Gann stop Brick from abducting some little girl for Prometheus. And Bill and Mikaal have caught up with Arak and Penny Dreadful in Paris. They've been chasing them down because of the killing of Bill's ape friends and Mikaal's lover Tony. I have to say . . I absolutely love the way that Mauro Cascioli draws this ape. It's freakin' fantastic. The lines on his face . . the dander of his fur . . this has got to be one of the best representations of an animal in all of comics. Period! I know! Brian Bolland drew some great animals on the covers of Animal Man. But . . I still hold that this is probably the best representation that I've ever seen. Agree with me or not . . it still looks incredible. What you see on the cover is just a hint at how good it looks on the inside panels. Sorry I'm going on and on, but Mauro deserves some serious credit for this. Anyways, Jay is running around the globe getting input from a lot of various heroes. He really seems to be concerned about what's happening in the country right now. But we don't hear the conversations, so I'm not sure what his specific concern is. However, upon returning home he finds Shade there. It appears Shade is also concerned about the present state of the country, as well as Opal City. He claims to have some answers, but . . we won't get into that conversation until next issue. Oh and I forgot to mention, for some reason . . Kara seems very enamored with Freddy this issue. I guess we'll have to wait and see where that goes. And surprise, or not . . Ollie and Ray seem to be coming at odds about the methods they've been employing. Believe it or not, Ollie thinks Ray is being overly ambitious in his techniques. Overall I thought it was a fantastic issue. I think it's great that we're exploring these new facets of the various characters depicted here. I'd have to say, Mikaal and Bill are probably my favorite 2 right now. Partly because of the art, but also because of how much James is putting into their characters. If you aren't reading this . . you're really missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment