Thursday, October 15, 2009

Web of Spider-man #1 - Marvel

I like taking chances and trying something new . . every now and then. I try to make a semi-informed decision, and hopefully I like what I get. Sometimes . . it's a stretch. I picked up this issue because . . well, first of all . . it's Spider-man. Secondly . . it's a #1 issue. So I thought I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, this was one of those issues that I probably should've just left on the counter. What I'm really kicking myself for is that it was $3.99. You don't mind so much if you don't like a book that you pick up out of the $1 bin. You can chalk it up to percentages. But now that some of these books are $4 to $5 . . a couple of mistakes like this and it makes you pretty leery to try anything again . . for a while. Anyways, with that said . . the first story was . . ok. It was by JM DeMatteis and Val Semeiks. It wasn't really an origin story of Kaine, but . . it did give us a lot of information about him. Really it was just something to catch us up on him, and what led up to his appearance in ASM #608. I'm not sure where we're going to end up with this new take on the 'Clone Saga' . . what with Kaine and Ben Reilly and all, but . . it should be interesting. Like I said after reading ASM #608, I just hope they don't drag it out forever, like they've done before. But . . it was an ok story . . for information's sake. Secondly we have a Spider-girl story by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz. This story really didn't do anything for me. I've tried to get into Spider-girl before . . I mean, she is Peter's daughter and all. But . . she's just never really done that much for me. I look at an issue or 2, here and there, but . . I've never seen anything to make me take the leap. And this story didn't seem much different from anything else I've ever read. She's doing her own take on the 'Clone Saga'. The problem is . . who cares? And finally there was a story called the Last Stand of the Fabulous Frog-man. I'm sorry. Maybe there are some fans out there. But honestly . . I thought this was a complete waste of space. It was by Sean McKeever and Stephanie Buscema. The best part about this whole issue was the Pasqual Ferry cover. Which I paid $3.99 for. For issue #2 . . first of all, if it's $3.99 . . I'm out. And even if it's not, I'll probably look at it first to see what stories are in it . . the character, and the artist . . to see if I'm going to take the chance again. The last time this book came out, 1985, I had every issue right from the beginning. Of course I was just blindly buying Spider-man books at the time . . everything I could get my hands on. That series was ok, but it never really lit up the stands. Overall I've been pretty happy with ASM, so . . I thought, what the heck? Well . . what the heck is . . I lost $4 that I'll never get back. Easy come . . easy go. I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment