Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ultimatum #3 - Marvel


All I can say about this book is . . . Wow! The thing I truly love about the Ultimate Universe is that anything goes. They started out with it loosely based on the Marvel Universe . . well, maybe a little bit more than loose, but . . the characters were all there. Some of the situations were a bit . . skewed. But from there? From there anything could happen . . anything could change . . the constraints of the regular Marvel Universe, and it's long history and continuity, were cast aside. And we knew that right from the beginning. Right from the very first issue of Ultimate Spider-man, we knew that things were going to be different here. So, like it or not . . it's what it was. This series? This series is affecting and changing everything. I'm not even sure that the Ultimate Universe will exist after this story-line, but . . I'm hoping it does in some form or another. Thus far the entire project has been under the guidance and tutelage of it's creator Brian Bendis. Maybe this story-line is a way to change the creative direction . . put a new voice in front of this awesome project. Maybe that's why Jeph Loeb is writing this mini-series. I wondered by Brian wasn't doing it. And maybe . . maybe I'm just pulling things out of my ass. All I know is that I thought this was a fantastic issue. Of course it doesn't hurt that David Finch is doing the art. Every single page of this issue was beautiful. Gradually everyone we've come to know in this Universe is getting killed off. This issue Hank Pym gives his life. He did it for the team, but . . mostly he did it for Jan. At the end of this issue, I think we may be looking at the beginnings of the next Ultimates team. Steve has finally emerged from his coma, and with the symbol of Captain America . . they're all ready to take the fight to Magneto. It'll be interesting to see how this all comes out. Overall? I thought it was an incredible issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment