Sunday, March 29, 2009

Solomon Grundy #1 - DC


This book picks up immediately following the Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy book. As far as I know, this is Scott Kolins first attempt at doing the writing as well as the art on a book. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I liked it or not. The cover is awesome, but . . I think the interior art left something to be desired. Scott's 'new' style is kind of hectic looking anyways, which I thought was kind of cool, but . . the art in this one just didn't seem as polished as some of his recent work. It seemed kind of rushed in spots. At least that's what I thought. The story? The story seemed a bit convoluted. It starts out with Alan Scott and the Phantom Stranger confronting Cyrus. They want to break the cycle that he's stuck in. The Stranger informs him that in order to do so, he has 7 days to find his killer and forgive him. He says, that's the key. But then there's some other stuff thrown in that I just don't understand. Etrigan shows up to give Solomon a little 'what-for'. But I don't really understand why. Why is he there? Why does Solomon Grundy get his goat? Also, as they destroy a bridge in their fight in Gotham, a Lex-Corp truck is brought to a stop because it can't cross. They're worried that their cargo could become restless, and we discover that they're transporting Bizarro. What does he have to do with any of this? I don't know. It was an interesting first issue, but . . it left me with a lot more questions than answers. Which I guess is ok for the first issue. The story just seemed to kind of bounce around though. We have 7 issues to figure it out though, so . . we'll just have to wait and see what happens . . and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment