Monday, March 23, 2009

HULK #10 - Marvel


I don't know if I really liked this story or not. The Grandmaster and the Collector are back, and of course they have some bet going on that involves a bunch of Marvel characters putting their lives on the line for some reward that they won't even be able to understand. Basically they're each assembling a team. The Grandmaster is starting with the Hulk and then letting him choose the rest. But he's picking them from all across time. The theme with the Hulk's group is 'loss'. The Grandmaster gets the Hulk right after he loses Jarella. They then go to the Silver Surfer right when he's about to lose his love Shalla-bal. The same happens with Namor. They show up right when Dorma is dying in his arms. And finally, they show up in some nether-realm just as Doctor Strange is losing Clea to some mystical portal. With his team now assembled, the Grandmaster reveals that they will have to fight the Collector's team which consists of the Red-Hulk, Baron Mordo, Terrax and the Tiger Shark. They're calling themselves the Offenders, which I guess makes the Hulk's team the Defenders. As a final gift before battle, the Grandmaster gives the Hulk a gift. He gives him his intelligence back . . brains and brawn. A deadly combination. " I don't know how. But I've got Banner's mind and the Hulk's power again. Let's take advantage of this, Defenders! We fight smart. We fight hard. For love. To the Death!" I don't know. The whole thing just seemed kind of to simple . . or to easy, for me. I usually enjoy Jeph Loeb's story's, but this one . . I don't know exactly. It just didn't sit right. It doesn't matter though really because I'll still be back next issue to see the big fight. And I still love Ed McGuinness' art. I don't know . . I guess we'll see what happens next issue. Sorry I couldn't be more decisive about it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment