Sunday, March 29, 2009

Top 10 - Season 2 #4 - America's Best Comics


I really like this book. But then again, I loved the original series. I always thought it was a shame when it ended. So far, Zander Cannon has done a great job of keeping this book true to the feel of the original. Or course, it helps that Gene Ha illustrated both. It really does feel like an extension, or I guess another chapter . . Season Two . But, at the same time, the story has moved on. Characters, and relationships have changed. And really . . that's what this book is all about. With everyone, in this whole city, having some sort of special power, nobody is really special. As far as abilities, that is. It's kind of like if everyone on Earth were a different color . . every single individual person. How could there possibly be racism? I'm not saying that's what this book is about, but . . I'm saying, with everyone having different abilities . . it's just a fact of life in Neopolis. The rules of interaction are different. Just like if everyone on Earth were a different color . . the paradigm would change. So anyways . . after that long-winded attempt at explanation . . my point is, this book is more about the specific people . . their personalities, actions and character . . and more about the relationships that they're involved in, than necessarily the abilities that they possess. The abilities are 'flashy' and give them, and the story, character, but . . the best part, to me, is how all these individual characters deal with the 'weirdness' that's part of their everyday life. I mean, the guy running the precinct right now is some alien transmitting his image from another dimension. But to them, it's just something else they have to deal with. As with Noble Causes, this book is really like a 'soap' set in some fantastic environment. I think that's great, but what really has me excited is . . I hope this means that we could possibly see some of the other ABC titles resurfacing. Is it a possibility? Only the gods know.

No comments:

Post a Comment