Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hellblazer #253 - Vertigo


This is an interesting issue. This is chapter 3 of the Scab story-line. Really, my only complaint about this issue is that I thought it was all rather tidily wrapped up. That's not usually the case when John is involved. But, then again . . maybe not. This whole incident is because of something John did many years ago. This Lord Downing wanted to break up the Docker's Union, and stop a strike, so he employed John to work a little 'magic' on the instigators. The chief of which was the union leader, "Red" Mal Brady. This issue John finds the source of the Scab to be in Liverpool. That's where this whole incident went down 12 years ago. And specifically it's tied to him and "Red". He gets the necessary 'magics' to counteract the curdled magic that's affecting them, but he can't get it to stick because of the guilt and remorse that "Red" is feeling. But then it dawns on him that it's actually his own guilt and remorse that's causing the problem. So, he has to confess to "Red" what he did . . telling him that it wasn't his fault, but rather his own. And then, for penance, he goes down to a local 'Docker' bar and started slagging off the Dockers. "A few of them dragged me outside and gave me a good kicking. With every well-aimed boot, I felt a little piece of my guilt float away." The only problem is, I think in the process he may have pushed Phoebe away. Or maybe he did it on purpose. Either way, I don't know that he'll be in that relationship any more. But . . I could be wrong. That's just the feeling that I got from the way the story ended. Overall I thought it was another great Peter Milligan story. I wasn't thrilled with Giuseppe Camuncoli's pencils . . at first. But by the end of the issue I thought he gave a good feeling to the whole thing. Like I said, I really only had 1 complaint, but . . that could just be me looking for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment