Sunday, March 15, 2009

Justice League of America #30 - DC

I thought this was a pretty decent book. I was really impressed with Jose Luis' pencils. I was a little disappointed at first with Ed Benes not being listed in the credits, but . . overall I really liked Jose's stuff. Also a nice cover by Shane Davis. The story? I thought the story was . . ok. At the first read . . it was fine. But after reading it, when you start to think about it . . you find some holes. Basically what we have is the Shadow Thief is attacking the JLA. Again. However, this time, he's tapped into a pretty unlimited power source so . . he's a lot more powerful. Duh. Now . . here's the part that I'm questioning a bit. Apparently his source of power is the Shadow-Cabinet's teleportation system. So . . why couldn't they just tell the JLA that? I know they were after something in the Hall of Justice, but . . they couldn't open up a dialogue? So, in the end, they have to pool their resources to get out of this pickle. Hardware makes a new suit for Kimiyo. So now she's Dr. Light again. Later we find out that this whole thing was orchestrated by by Dharma back at Shadowspire. Apparently everything that's happened these last couple of issue were his doing and following his plans. But, we don't really know what those plans are. All we know for sure is that he has something in mind for Dr. Light. And he's been manipulating the League this whole time. "I've prodded the League towards their imminent discovery of the true threat to the Earth. They are my pawns. You are very intelligent, Icon. You already suspect the true nature of my mission, and therefore, like it or not, you will aid me whenever I ask. And you'll do far worse before you're through." Very cryptic of him. Anyways, the Shadow-Cabinet and all of it's characters look interesting, but . . this issues story by Dwayne McDuffie just left to many unanswered questions. Maybe I'm trying to read to much into it. Or maybe . . I'm not reading enough. I like the book. I like the characters. But it just kind of leaves me saying, "What the . . . . ."



1 comment:

  1. It wasn't just you who noticed the many plotholes present here... Personally, these last few issues have seemed like nothing more than a place for Dwayne to showcase his Milestone characters. This whole storyline just felt like a variation of the old, "super-heroes meet, have a misunderstanding, fight and then join forces against a common threat" formula.

    I don't really know anything about the Milestone characters(while Milstone Comics was around, I was still collecting only Marvel Comics), and I don't think that this series was the place to (re)introduce these characters. Maybe a Shadow Cabinet mini-series would have worked better, that way I could have actually learned more about these characters and made a connection to them. There were so many new faces, I didn't really know who was who, or which Shadow Cabinet member could do what. To make a long story short, the whole situation just confused the heck out of me.

    ReplyDelete