Monday, March 23, 2009

the New Avengers #50 - Marvel


The first thing I want to say is . . . $4.99??? Now the Marvel 'special' issues are going to be $4.99??? It's bad enough that all of the mini-series have gone up to $3.99. But now this? To me, there's only 2 redeeming values to this decision. First of all, there are 37 pages of art. Actually, 44 if you count the Fantastic Four Dark Reign preview. So, that's kind of like 2 books. If you look at things that way. Secondly, there's a whole gaggle of great artists on this one. Billy Tan does all the framing sequences, but then the other artists fill in when we get some one-on-ones with some of the various characters here. So, that kind of helps lessen the blow. I guess. But as far as picking up multiple copies? Fugedaboutit! I know. Multiple copies are a little insane sometimes, but . . I'll get into that some other time. Anyways, having said that . . . I actually liked the story. It reminded me a lot of the old Avengers stories from back in the 80's. You know the ones . . there was usually some kind of fight that broke out, eventually . . it was always a little ambiguous as to why the fight was necessary in the first place . . but before, and after, there was always lots of conversations with 'points' and 'counter-points' to be made, and some bickering and arguing. They were like a big family. Everyone has to get their say in, and before they could do anything everybody has to talk . . whether they have anything to say or not. Until eventually someone would take the initiative to get past that and finally do something . . usually a fight, but . . at least it was some kind of action. That's how this book felt to me. Sure there's a big fight in the middle when the Hood and his 'gang' come knocking . . they were expecting Osborne and his 'gang'. They had a lot of issues to work out at the time so they gladly took on the challenge . . whether they admit that or not. But it was actually Clint that was the voice of reason and took the initiative. At the end of the issue he goes on national TV to remind all the viewers of who Norman Osborne really is, and what he's capable of. But what he's really doing . . is 'calling him out'. Whether it works or not, we'll have to wait until next issue to find out. But . . it was ballsy. You have to give him that. Anyways, my point is I thought this issue gave us a lot of insight into most of the characters. Including Spider-Woman. Which breaks down to character development. It's great that these guys have all of these cool powers and get to do all this cool stuff, but when push comes to shove . . . they're just people like anyone else . . with the same problems and concerns and ambitions. Well, maybe their ambitions are a bit larger, but . . you get my point. It's not always about fights and battles and skirmishes. There were lots of those issues in the 80's where most of the issue took place in the Mansion. And most of the story simply involved the interaction between all of the various members. I liked that stuff. Say what you will about Brian Bendis and his stories, but . . when it comes to character development . . he's got it in spades. Like I said, overall . . I enjoyed this issue. The price brought me down at first but . . in the end I think they redeemed themselves. I just hope there's not to many more 'special' issues. My wallet can't take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment