Sunday, March 15, 2009

the Death-Defying 'Devil #3 - Dynamite Entertainment


This book was ok. But as I stated with the Masquerade title, it seems like the purpose of most of these books are to introduce us to other characters. The titled character is prominent in the first, and maybe the second issue. However, after that, it's all about the group, or the rest of the characters that he/she is hanging out with. This issue we get a lot of the background on the Ghost. We also see the Fighting Yank and Silver-Streak. We also see more of the spy, Justine, whom I think is going to have a prominent role in this whole 'project'. Basically they're trying to stop a plan of the Claw's. He's your usual 'super-hero' type villain with dreams of world domination. Currently he wants to blow up an experimental Particle Accelerator in Hong Kong. It's destruction will serve 2 purposes. First it will kill a lot of people. Always high on the 'to-do' lists of these megalomaniacs. Secondly it will take out most of the power of the city. Other than that, I'm not sure what the Claw will gain, but . . that's his current plan. There's a couple of action pages where the Ghost comes flying in on the tower that the Claw is going to strike. The 'Devil does some pretty neat acrobatics to land on and then enter the building. However, in the end, the Claw completes his plans and the 'heroes' intervention accomplishes nothing. They barely escape with their lives. I like the concept of these books here. And there's a great cast of characters. To me it seems as if they're purposefully trying to keep the stories in the look and feel of similar books in the 50's or 60's. I know that's when these characters are originally from, but . . it's the future now. The 22nd (?) century. The stories are fun and adventurous, but . . I just think they need to be more current. Alex Ross and Joe Casey write this one. And Edgar Salazar does the art. I think Edgar gets better every month with his craft. However, I've seen better stories from Joe Casey. I'll continue buying these books. I want to see what's going to happen. I just hope that sooner or later they bring the style and theme of the stories a bit more up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment