Sunday, June 22, 2008

the War that Time Forgot #2 - DC


This is another series that I think has some huge potential. However, it's really all going to depend on how they roll it out. We didn't get a Neal Adams cover this time, but it looks like Brian Bolland will be our regular cover artist. That's really now a bad thing. I really only have one complaint about this issue . . so I guess I might as well get it out of the way right up front. I was disappointed in Al Barrionuevo's artwork this issue. I know he's been a pretty busy guy lately, and maybe the quantity of work is starting to catch up with his quality, but this issue . . compared to some of his previous submission . . I thought it was lacking. Yes the guys got talent. I just didn't think this issue was as crisp and refined as his usual work. I'm sorry. Things like that just distract me. Anyways, the story is slowly unraveling. We're seeing that there appears to be a couple different factions on this island. We're introduced to the second this issue, and they seem to revolve around a Greek or Roman theme. And their leader appears to be GI Robot. However, coming from the time-period that they do . . they seem him as a prophet, or even a supreme entity. I like the way Bruce Jones is playing on the natural suspicion and mistrust of the human race. Especially when a bunch of humans are thrown together from various races and time-periods. Bonding and team-work would not be the natural course of events. However, they do share 2 common problems. One, they're misplaced in time and location. And two, the pecking order of the island seems to be the humans on the bottom, and the dinosaurs on top. Those are 2 things that all of them have to learn to cope with. The question we seem to have so far is . . will their suspicion and mistrust get in the way of their survival? The thing they all seem to have in common is that they all come from some sort of military background. So their natural instinct is to find the commanding . . or superior . . officer. They're looking for leadership, purpose and a goal. That may be the one thing that keeps them alive. I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing where this series is going to go . . it's purpose and it's goal. With Bruce and Al at the helm, it should be an exciting ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment