Sunday, June 22, 2008

Huntress - Year One #2 - DC


This particular origin story is a lot more detailed than any other story that's been told about Helena Bertinelli. It started last issue, right after he parents had been murdered, in Gotham, and she was sent to Sicily to live with a family of assassins for her protection. After that, she lived in solitude on one of the family farms for the next 12 years. Now, she's close to being 21, and she's ready to accept her family's inheritance so she can begin doing something meaningful with her life. She doesn't really know what that is yet. But she does know that she can't continue on the path of her family. Inherently she wants to help people. But right now, she doesn't really feel that she has the power to do so. Sure she can fight. She can kill if she has to. But I don't think she really wants to . I think she wants to be a force for good. When she went to the Opera, as a young girl, she used to ask her nanny why there were no female heroes. "There was a female Pope once. She dressed in men's clothing. When she died, they discovered she was a woman, and ever since they've pretended she never existed. She's one of my heroes. In all the Operas, women only matter if they are young, innocent, and die. Men can't handle women their own age. Innocence is overrated. As for death, well . . . you must vow to outlive them all." And I think that is where her sense of right and wrong came from. However, when she goes to receive her boon . . she finds out that all she has left is barely $2million. The rest is to be divided up amongst others. And with that . . she has her first mission. Ivory Madison is the storyteller here. I like the way it's being drawn out so far. It's a little more detailed, and intricate, than I thought it would be. But, that's ok. As I said, we've never gotten this much information about Helena before. Cliff Richards does the pencils. At first, his work doesn't thrill me. But, by the end of the book, you'll see that he does an excellent job of creating, and maintaining the mood for the story. So I guess I'm saying . . I'm becoming a fan. Overall, I think it's a pretty good book, with a great story. It leaves me wanting more.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying this story too. I just read #3, and the whole ". . . you must vow to outlive them all." theme is still in effect. It is definitely involved for a six issue storyline, but I agree that Ivory Madison is thus far doing an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete