Sunday, June 01, 2008

the Spirit #17 - DC


I don't know why . . I can't really pinpoint it, but . . I have to admit that I actually enjoyed this issue more than any other of the previous ones. It's still written by Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier. However, they did have a new penciller this issue . . Aluir Amancio. The style is really not that much different, so I really don't think the artist is what changed my mind. However, in this issue, there is a lot more sexual overtone and innuendo. And maybe that's what peaked my interest. I'm not sure. But from this issue, you can tell there's a lot more going on with the Spirit, and Ellen, than we see on the surface. Plus, the Spirit comes out of his shell and makes some forward comments about this insurance adjuster's secretary. I didn't notice this kind of playfulness in any of the other issues. I like it. It adds a little more "adult" humor to the series. I'm still pretty bored with the themes. This issue it's a robbery / murder mystery that happens aboard a cruise ship. It was interesting, but fairly predictable. I still don't completely understand what the draw to this character is. I guess I just don't "get it". However, this issue was actually enjoyable. Unfortunately, with the price of gas being what it is, I do have to start thinking about where I'm going to start saving money from week to week. There may be some books coming out that I may have to drop. It's a sad reality of the times.

1 comment:

  1. I too liked this issue much more than the last few. For me, the new penciler definitely helped. I didn't particularly care for the previous penciler's take on Denny Colt. He looked like he stepped out of 'The Great Gatsby' or something.

    The sexuality (both in the art & story) also helped keep my interest. I'd like more issues with this writing/artist team.

    ReplyDelete