Sunday, June 29, 2008

Kick-Ass #3 - Marvel - Icon


For me . . this is a weird series. Part of me likes it. Likes it a lot actually. But then part of me is repulsed by it. I'm not sure I really understand why. The part I like . . is the realistic part. There's a scene where Dave is on a roof and he says he's ready to do the things a super-hero does. Basically, he wants to jump across an alley to the next building. But then he gets to the edge and looks down. "Shit. These things are really far apart. Higher up than they look in comic books too . . . . f@#& this. I'm walking." Which, really, is the response any same normal human being would have. And then, to help him with his "patrolling", he starts an on-line forum so people can just let him know what's happening out there. Then he can save some time and figure out where to go. His first choice? Helping a girl who says that her ex-boyfriend won't leave her alone and keeps crank-calling her. Yeah. That's probably pretty high on the priority list. "I had 28 requests in my inbox, but this one really jumped out at me for some reason. The girl sounded nice. Like she'd maybe go out with me if I sorted this out." I mean that's just the reasoning a teen-age boy would put being making that kind of decision. And finally, near the end of the issue, Dave finds out his has his first groupie. It's in the form of a nine year old girl, who comes to his aid, after his obviously well thought out choice, wielding a sword. She starts slicing up the guys that are getting ready to beat the shit out of Dave. I think that last part was the part that repulsed me. However, I do think that Mark Millar and John Romita Jr. are doing an incredible job with this series. Actually, from what I understand, it's a mini-series. In the back of the book there's a page from Mark where he's thanking all his fans and he lets us know that the story has already been opted for a movie. They already have a director named, who's going to be playing Dave, and have done casting for the nine year old psycho at the end of this issue. There's also a release date set for 2009. All of that and we're only on issue #3. All I can say is, congratulations on you success guys. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment