Saturday, June 07, 2008

Catwoman #79 - DC


First of all, I have to say . . parts of this story are a bit confusing. Specifically . . how did Selina get back to Gotham? I'm sure it's in the Salvation Run #7 issue, but . . . since that issue hasn't come out yet . . we can't read it. I hate it when we have these snafu's in the publishing schedules. Now I'll have to read that issue, already knowing what has transpired in this one. I guess that's just one of the demons of the trade though. Anyways, since this series is being terminated with #82, it really feels like this is just a "wrap-up" story-line. She comes back to Gotham to find out that Slam is in a bit of trouble with this, at best, "b-list" villain. Of course she gets him out of trouble, but in the process he starts asking questions about her daughter . . his grand-daughter. And those are questions that Selina really doesn't want to answer. I think, deep down, she probably knows that Bruce has knowledge of where Helena is. But, he's not going to tell her, unless she asks, because he cares about her more than that. In fact I'm sure he won't even tell her that he knows anything. So, I think, that she's secure in the knowledge that should she decide she wants to know . . . she's got someone already watching her back. Anyways, next issue she's going after this 20-something villain, we don't even know his name, and in the process let Gotham know that she's back in town. I think that Will Pfeifer has done an excellent job of keeping this character grounded. She's not the obsessed "cat" themed thief that she once was. Although she seems just as talented as ever. I also think that while I'm not overly impressed with David Lopez' art, I do feel that he has definitely given this book a good feel. It's kind of the best of both world's. While I'm not thrilled with his stuff, it does have a good feel to it, and it's consistent. Which is more than I can say for a lot of other books. I'll be sad to see this title go, but I'm positive this isn't the last we've seen of Catwoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment