Sunday, June 29, 2008

the Invincible Iron Man #2 - Marvel


There's a lot of hype out there right now about Matt Fraction's writing. They say he's the next big thing. They say that he's the new Bendis. But in actuality . . . all of that is true. I really like this guys style. I like the way that he's approaching the character of Tony Stark. And he puts a lot of little nuances into his story that you don't really see . . unless you look for them. Or . . if you read the story twice . . you'll be really surprised at what you pick up the second time. Such as . . at the end of this book, Tony finally comes face to face with Ezekial Stane. However, it's at this big black-tie event, and just as he's approaching him . . some suicide bombers run into the room shouting. What I like about this scene is . . first of all, Ezekial is wearing one of those tee-shirts with tux as the graphics. Secondly, he's obviously been wanting to get in to Tony's face for a while, and I'm sure he has this whole drama all planned out in his head . . but Tony? . . . Tony doesn't even know who he is. "Hi . . excuse me . . I . . . . I'm sorry, do I know you . . . ?" Then, as Tony's shaking his hand . . Ezekial is rambling . . and Tony, distracted by other things in the room, is obviously not listening. Do you think that's how Ezekial had it played out in his head? I also like the interaction between Tony and Pepper. Pepper is obviously his assistant, but you can also see in her eyes that she feels like more. And of course Tony, being the schmoozing billionaire flirt that he his, can't help but talking to her in the same fashion. She is a woman after all. But then during the dinner party, when Tony's being ogled by a group or women, Pepper takes offense when Tony all but dismiss' her as his hired help. All of this is happening while the main story . . trying to find out who is using Stark-tech for terrorism . . is still progressing through the book. The flow . . . is fantastic. This is the sign of a great writer. I do have a question about the artwork though. Salvador Larroca is the artist, and, as I'm sure you're aware, I'm a huge fan. I can't give the guy enough props. Especially for all the work he's been doing lately. In this book he's gone to the painted style of work. Overall, it looks fantastic. My question is, on a couple of pages . . especially on pages 20 & 21 . . where Iron Man and Thor are attending a funeral . . Thor's face almost looks like it's a photograph added to the art. Was this intentional? And if so what's the purpose, and why? It's just an observation. It's quirky little things like that I notice. Overall, I have to say, I really enjoyed the book. I picked up issue #1 on a lark, and I thought I'd give it a shot. But, if the quality continues to be this impressive . . . I may be here for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment