Sunday, June 01, 2008

Avengers: Initiative #13 - Marvel


I like this book. I'm not sure why. But I do. I guess . . if I have to credit any one thing, I'd have to say it's because of the stories. I think Christos Gage has a great grasp of this concept and the characters that revolve through it. He makes the stories personal, for the most part. At least this issue is. We see a new batch of recruits coming to camp and this issue really focus' on one in particular, Emery Schaub. He calls himself Boulder, but the first time the Taskmaster sees him, he calls him Butterball. He's the little pudgy guy right in the middle of the picture above. He doesn't really have any super-powers . . at least none that he can exhibit outwardly . . but he is indestructible. And he's a bit of an outcast. He's the kid, we've all known in our lives, that just tries to hard. He's a nice enough kid, but he tries to hard to fit in, he tries to hard to get along with everybody, and he tries to hard to be normal. If he's just be himself, he's probably get along with everybody. But because he tries so hard, he ends up ostracizing himself from them. He actually achieves the exact opposite of his intentions. In the end, a group of merc's come after the Taskmaster . . I guess he has a contract on him for switching sides . . and Emery is brought in to the line of fire. Actually, he's used as a hostage. But, since the staff members know that he can't be hurt, he negates their leverage and the "good-guys" attack. Inadvertently, he's the one that saves the day. So they decide they're just going to send him home, to let him live out his life. Like I said, it was a touching story. The art sucked. But, hey . . it has since the beginning. I thought it would grow on me, but . . no! Luckily, the stories more than make up for it. Like I said, I really do like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment