Sunday, June 29, 2008

the Boys #19 - Dynamite Entertainment


Every time I look at one of these books, or pick up an issue, Thin Lizzy's the Boys are Back in Town runs through my head. That's not a bad thing. It's just how my head works. This issue is the beginning of a new chapter in the lives of our favorite characters. But wait . . . sorry . . as I'm reading this, I just realized that somehow I've missed issue #18. I'm not sure how that happened. Well anyways, here's what I'll do . . . I'm going to push the next book back and do #18 there. But I'll have to go to the shop to pick it up so . . it may be a couple days. Not that it matters once this is all published. I just like to keep things in chronological order. Oops! Anyways, with this issue, the comic guy, the King, has sat down with Wee Hughie and is giving him the tragic world history lesson of Vought American. Meanwhile, Butcher is having a face-to-face with the Homelander. We've seen the Vought American guy sitting in the Seven's headquarters, but with this story, we find out just how much the two are inter-connected and co-dependent upon one another. I think it's interesting about how, in this universe, the "heroes" exploits are chronicled in comic form. That way, no matter how outlandish or risque they are, they're shrugged off as fiction, while at the same time the public, the readers and their adoring fans, are anethesized to their actions and place in society. It really is a brilliant way of acclimating into their lives things they normally wouldn't be able to accept or comprehend. So this King guy, by studying the books, and reading between the lines, in conjunction with world events and history, has been able to put together the true history of their culture. It comes across as a conspiracy nuts ravings, but . . that's why they've done it the way they have. Even if someone finds out the truth . . who's going to believe them. It's a good thing our government didn't figure this out 40 or 50 years ago. Think of the implications. Anyways I get the feeling that this story-arc will explain a lot of the little nuances of this universe, while at the same time pulling the reader in ever farther. Simply brilliant. Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson are really doing a fantastic job with this book, and . . it gets better with every story-arc. I can't wait to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment