Monday, June 09, 2008

Number of the Beast #4 - WildStorm


I'm not sure why. But for some reason . . this book was a tough one for me. It's held me up for a couple of days now. And I've reread it . . twice. The stories ok. The art is . . decent. But . . for some reason . . I'm just really not getting in to it. The heroes and villains are about to break out of their "containment" cells. The virtual world that they've all been living in . . is coming to an end. Basically, it got f@#$%^-up when they put the High into the mixture. Or rather . . the gelatinous substance that once was the High. Somehow he reconstructed himself, and in doing so, came to the realization that things weren't exactly kosher. Somehow, in doing so, he's also taken Dr. Sin out with him. Since most of the virtual scenarios were built around him . . to give the heroes a sense of purpose and a goal . . now things are getting . . funky! To say the least. The opponent that they're facing now, appears to be the Four Horseman. So, the government's plan to fix things is . . get all personnel out . . and the nuke the whole facility. I'm not sure how many heroes they have in this bunker, but it appears to be a lot. Anyways, my point is, you just know this "burn & scrape" scenario isn't going to work out. Sure it seems like a permanent solution, but . . you just know things aren't going to work out the way they're supposed to. Plus, we already know that all these heroes get out and basically destroy the world. I think that's what's been my problem right from the start. These last couple of mini-series from WildStorm have been a progression of events. But it's a progression that we already know what the outcome is. So where's the suspense and mystery? I'll stick with it, because I want to see how it all comes out. But, really, I'd rather just jump ahead and see where the new direction of the WildStorm Universe is going to take my more vested characters. It just all seems kind of anti-climatic to me. But that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment