Saturday, June 28, 2008

Jonah Hex #32 - DC


I'll just get this out of the way right in the beginning, but I really have a hard time appreciating Jordi Bernet's artwork. Yes the guys talented, and yes his style is the perfect synthesis of art with this western genre. But . . it's just not my cup of tea. I could go on and on . . but I think I'll just leave it at that. The story however, by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, as usual . . is simplistic yet indicate at the same time. This book usually has these one issue stories. Which I like, because it's a quick read. But, because they leave so much of the story to be filled in by the reader, it comes across much more complex than it actually is. Which, in my book, is a definite nod to the writer's talents. I like this book because we have this cut-throat hero, with an absurd sense of morality. He won't take the villains money when he tries to hire Hex to kill the Matador that seduced his wife. He also won't take advantage of the young woman, out in the desert, that assists with his recuperation . . even though she throws herself at him. But, he doesn't think twice about returning to the arena and killing the villain while he's seated next to his wife and in view of 100's of his amigos. I really think it's this twisted sense of right & wrong that makes this character so unique and intriguing. While I may not always appreciate the art, I still enjoy the series . . none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment