Sunday, June 01, 2008

Secret Invasion - Fantastic Four #1 - Marvel


I said I was going to stay out of this Secret Invasion thing. And I have, overall . . unless a story pops up in one of my regular monthly issues. But, honestly, I thought this was a regular Fantastic Four book. In the store . . in my pile . . I didn't think anything of it. But then, when I went to read it . . I'm thinking, "Why do they have a different writer on here already?" . . that's when it dawned on me. Oops! I got sucked in to one of the mini-series. Well, since I like the Fantastic Four so much, and . . Barry Kitson is doing the art on this series . . I guess I can't complain to much. I'll just get on my boogie-board and ride the little wave of this mini. From what I understand, this series is all about the Skrull getting the Fantastic Four out of their way. We don't see it this issue, but somehow they've already apprehended Reed. We start out here with a Skrull taking out Sue when she's in Vancouver, alone, at a conference. Their plan then is 3-fold . . first they have to infiltrate the Baxter Building as Sue . . second they have to gain access to Reed's lab and activate the Negative Zone portal . . and finally, "Neutralize threat of Richards' technology by commencing transfer of Baxter Building into Negative Zone. If Self-sacrifice is called for, die with honor." Which she does, and the whole top of the building . . probably the to 8 or so floors . . ends up in one piece in the Negative Zone. Ben, Val and Franklin are out in the living quarters. Johnny followed Sue into the lab when everything started shaking apart. Immediately the building is attacked by some kind of space-bugs, which means Ben has to get the kids to safety. Meanwhile, in the lab, Sue tries to convince Johnny that she did this to protect their family and the she thinks Ben is a Skrull. But I don't think Johnny's quite as dumb as everybody give his credit for. He exposes her ruse, and finds out that the Skrull that's trying to kill them is . . . Lyja? Wasn't she like Johnny's girlfriend at one time. Ok I'll admit that I'm intrigued. I think Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa did a pretty decent job with this story. And, maybe, it's just Barry's interpretation of these Fantastic characters that I like so much, but . . I'll probably stick with it. It seems like it has some interesting possibilities. But still, I'm only doing it because it's the Fantastic Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment