Saturday, June 07, 2008

Ultimate X-Men #94 - Marvel


I have to say . . this is the best issue of this series that I've read in quite a while. Ok . . that last issue was pretty decent. But . . with Apocalypse involved, it got pretty action packed at the end. Plus it was the Phoenix' coming out party. So, while I didn't particularly like the last story arc . . I did enjoy the last issue. But, honestly, I think this issue is even better than that. There seems to be a Colossus "thing" going on around the Marvel Universe right now. We have a pretty major story-line going on involving him in Uncanny. He just got his own Origin issue. And now we feature him in these pages. This issue starts out taking us all the way back to when he was a kid. But there's an interesting twist in his story. Which is what I like about the Ultimate Universe. They get to throw ideas in which nobody else thought of. Here, the thought is, even though his skin switches to metal . . how does his body bear the weight, literally, of the burden? He's not super-strong . . his skin turns to metal. Which, I'm sure, is a lot heavier that . . well, his skin. So how does he bear the burden? Well, in the Ultimate Universe, he turned to Banshee. That's their version of the Mutant Growth Hormone. And, this wouldn't even have turned up if the X-Men hadn't had a run-in with the Ultimate Alpha-Flight. As it is, they are all taking Banshee, which is why they're so powerful. As the issue ends, it seems that Colossus has put his own team of X-Men together. They consist of Kurt, Rogue, Dazzler and . . I'm not sure who that bird guy is, is it Angel? . . but, Scott is tagging along for the ride also. Ride? Oh yeah, their taking the fight up to Canada to try to retrieve Colossus' lover, Northstar, whom was the whole reason for Alpha-Flights incursion. They wanted him back. Or . . the Canadian Government did . . Dept. H. I love the Ultimate books, and anytime we're introduced to more of our universe's Marvel counter-parts, is even better. I thought Aron E Coileite did a fantastic job with this story. But then, as one of the writers of Heroes, on NBC, I would've expected nothing less. I was also very impressed with Mark Brooks pencils. Like I said, overall, it was a pretty decent book. Finally!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, could you stop calling Northstar Colossus's lover? JP is his boyfriend. Lover makes them sound like fuck buddies.

    ReplyDelete