Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trinity #1 - DC


I have to say that overall I enjoyed the beginning of this series. I don't want to get into the set-up, and the whole trinity-theme, as it pertains to . . well everything . . in this book. If reading and collecting books is truly your hobby, then you understand, or know what's going on here. It's been explained many times in many places. If fact, now . . it almost seems to be verging on overkill. But, if you truly don't know . . then bring up the link to the DC website and there are several articles there going in to the book, it's characters and the whole creative process. I'm sure they can explain it alot better than I can. Plus, that way, I don't have to use up all the space here. It's a win / win. Anyways, we start out the series with our 3 main characters coming together because of a common dream they've been having. It's giving them all the sense that something is looming on the horizon. Plus, after some discreet questioning, they've discovered that no one else in their community is suffering from the same affliction. They seem to be at the eye of the maelstrom here. Now we just have to find out what the threat is. In the back-up story, we see the antithesis of this dilemma from the "bad-guys" point of view. As with our heroes, Morgaine Le Fey and Enigma seem to be suffering from the same affliction. But, they can sense that the events seem to be swirling around our trinity of heroes. So, in order to counter thier power, they will also recruit a third. It looks like it's going to be Despero. I know all we're really getting is the set-up right now . . and there's been a lot of hype behind this series, but I really think it's going to be everything they say it is. The last 2 weekly series, 52 and Countdown . . Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were noticeably absent from almost every issue. Now this series will focus on those 3 almost in it's entirety. We have Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley as the chief architects of this story. Their creativity will be the driving force here. And I think we can all agree . . that alone should make this series very interesting. Now . . throw in 3 of the greatest characters in comics today, and throw in a continuous back-up story by a rotating cast of characters and creativity . . and I think we've got the recipe for a pretty hot series. The problem is . . I don't think people are going to recognize that until we get in to the meat of the story. However, knowing Kurt's work . . I think he's going to draw us in pretty fast. So, I guess, overall . . I would say that while I wasn't blown away by the first issue . . I was entertained. Plus, I see the potential for some major story-lines here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment