Monday, June 23, 2008

Justice Society of America #16 - DC


I only really have 1 real complaint about this series. And . . it's not really a complaint . . more of an observation. The cover at the left is the standard cover for this issue. Obviously it's an Alex Ross cover, so . . it's awesome. The $10 variant cover is by Eaglesham & Rollins. It features Black Adam. Now, while I thoroughly enjoy Dales work on this book, and in all actuality it is a nice cover . . it just seems to me that the Alex Ross one should be the premium. It just boggles me when the regular cover is sharper looking than the variant. But, hey . .that's just me. If I didn't want to spend $10, I shouldn't have bought it . . right? Anyways, this issue we get introduced to Gog. Sort of. He claims that William Matthews simply took hold of his staff, but he misused his powers. That's why he vaporized him. And now . . now he has risen. We get a little of his background story. Apparently he reached a fiery landing on Earth after he was banished from his Third World. You know . . the world before the Fourth World . . Darkseid's world. Although, when they show Gog aflame and being propelled toward Earth . . his silhouette does seem to resemble Darkseid's. Maybe that's just me. Anyways, our band of heroes attempt to talk to him, but . . they almost seem beneath his notice. He also seems very eager to prove himself as a beneficial entity. They're in Africa and as they're talking he's distracted by the injustices in a nearby village. He walks over and observes the poverty. Powergirl asks what he wants there. "To Save . . . . I made them good again. You have nothing to fear, human beings. I am am here to save you." The problem there is . . what one entity might conceive as "saving" . . another person might think is a curse. Also . . be careful what you wish for. As they're going through these events, Gog also comes across Grant, Damage. "I am happy to be alive. Are you? You will be now, little one. I come in peace. I hope you finally understand that." And with that . . he fixes what Zoom had done to Grant's face. "I made him good again. Who is next?" This is going to be a very interesting story-line. Plus, I'm wondering what's going through the mind of the Kingdom Come's Superman. A fantastic effort by Geoff Johns, Alex Ross and Fernando Pasarin . . who fills in for Dale this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment