Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wonder Woman #9 - DC


I know we're dealing with this whole Amazon Attacks storyline here. I mean Diana is all confused about her mother being resurrected. On one hand she hopes that she would come back. On the other, she can't believe she would ever do something like this. And she's all confused about what the whole deal with Circe is. I mean, why is she involved? What is she hoping to accomplish with all this? And how exactly is it the she seems to be able to control Hippolyta so thoroughly? But what I think the real story is . . . what's got my interest about this whole thing . . . . is the relationship between Diana and her partner . . . Nemesis. They seem to have a great chemistry together. Their bickering and bantering and flirting back and forth, is very natural and whimsical. I really like the way the two characters are playing off of each other. And her interactions with him, really seem to be grounding her as a character. I mean she's always been this larger than life character. With lofty ideals and dreams and hopes. She's truly been god-like. But the way she acts when she's around Nemesis, really brings here down to earth. It really shows us that underneath all the Themescryian idealism, she really is just human. And it's a nice feel for her. We probably, unfortunately, won't get to see a whole lot of that until after this Amazon Attacks storyline is over. But if Jodi Picoult stays on as the writer, I definitely think we'll see more of it in the future. I like the direction they've taken with this book so far. Let's just hope they can keep up the momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment