Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Detective #832 - DC


First of all, cool Simone Bianchi cover. It's not shown at the right here, don't know why it wasn't available, but this is an interior shot from the book. I'm also enjoying Andy Clarke's pencils. They aren't the usual style you would find in a Batman book, which is why they're kind of neat. Crisp clean lines, vibrant, not a lot of shadows, and not overly moody. As I said, a complete contradiction to what you would expect from a Batman book. Interesting approach. Now . . . the story. It was ok, but a bit predictable. Right from the beginning, the first page actually, when Batman, finding the body of an old perp, says, "His face was eaten away by fish, no skin left on the fingertips to print . . . how did you identify the body, Jim?". I mean, right from there, I knew that this wasn't what it looked like. This guy, that they found dead, was 1 of a group of 3 that were known to hang out together. Now the other one's were being attacked. But the attacks are to personal, to be random. So it had to be someone that knew them, and were close to them. Sure enough, the first guy faked his death, and was going after the other 2 because his condition was making him insane. I mean, don't get me wrong, the story was interesting, but also predictable. I like the approach they're taking with this book. And I like that they're trying different writers. But some have been more successful than others. This particular one . . . I would not consider a success. Better luck next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment