Saturday, June 23, 2007

Ex-Machina #28 - Wildstorm


I'm a big fan of this book. I think the writing is very smart. It makes you think. And it's not afraid to bounce around with the story a little bit. It's written as if the reader has half a brain. Also the art work is fantastic. It's not flashy and cutting edge like some books. But . . . it's very solid. It conveys the emotions of the characters. And it flows very smoothly. With this new character that's popped up, it seems as if were getting a lot of flashbacks to the Great Machine's first days. We're seeing early missions, even training sessions. We also see, every issue, how critical of a part Kremlin and Bradbury play in the Mayor's life. But with these flashback's, I'm thinking that this new guy is somehow directly connected to Mitchell. He captures Kremlin and his mother, to try to get him to come talk to him. His mother thinks she has the whole situation figured out, but when she asks him if he's from the future, he laughs at her. So . . . seeing that we're in the WildStorm universe, I'm thinking that he's either from the past . . . or . . . from another planet similar to Mitchell's from somewhere on the other side of the bleed. I mean, we've never really dealt with the bleed in this book. But, as I said, since we're in the WildStorm universe . . . it is there. Anyways NYC is in the middle of a major black-out, caused by this guy. And somehow, when the power went out, so did Mitchell's. So not only does he have all this drama to deal with, with his city, but he's also at a disadvantage when it comes to dealing with this guy, because he has no power. But . . . that's assuming that the new guy is malicious. I'm not so convinced that he is. I think he's actually here to help the Mayor. But of course everything is always confrontational at first. So we'll have to see if cooler heads prevail. I really don't think this book gets enough credit, because I think it's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment