Monday, June 11, 2007

Tales of the Unexpected #8 - DC


This one ended up pretty much the way I thought it would. Crispus finds out that pretty much everyone who lives in the tenement had something to do with Krieger's death. In some way or another. Of course that doesn't mean that he didn't have it coming. The guy didn't some pretty awful things to his tenants. Extortion, blackmail, rape . . . . just to read off the top of the list. But Spectre's job isn't to hold judgement over him. His job is to find out who killed the man, and deliver cosmic retribution. Which he does in spades. But there's still the ying & yang between what Crispus and the Spectre consider to be justice. Crispus wants to try to temper his retribution, but the Spectre doesn't want anything to do with that. That part of the story doesn't fully play out in these pages. So, my guess, is that'll be the focus and crust of future stories. They wrap up this tenement thing, but they still leave an awful lot just hanging out there. It'll be interesting to see where we go from here. But overall, I thought it was a fantastic story by David Lapham and Eric Battle. I also liked the Dr. 13 backup story. I thought it was a little confusing . . . but . . . I think that was the whole point. I liked the way they ended it . . . but at the same time . . . I didn't. If that makes sense. It probably was the only way they could wrap it up . . . but . . . it just doesn't sit well. I suppose that's so they can carry on the story in the future. But it was still kinda' cheesy. But still, as with the main story, overall . . . I liked it. It was different. Which is really what the whole thing was about. And I think that Azzarello and Chiang delivered on their end of the deal. So again . . . we'll see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment