Sunday, June 03, 2007

100 Bullets #83 - Vertigo


Every time I read this book I'm awed. And every time I review it, I probably sound like a broken record. But Brian Azzarello is easily one of the best writers out there right now. The nuances and feeling that he puts in to a book is just incredible. I mean look, Shepherd was killed a few issues ago, but he was one of the best characters. And we haven't quit hearing about him yet. For the last couple issues, Graves has been reminiscing about how he recruited him. He even took his ashes to the b-ball court that he used to play on, where Graves always found him, to spread them there. Quite touching actually. And don't even get me started on Eduardo Risso. I don't know where this guy came from, before he started doing 100 Bullets, 83 issues ago, but his style is incredible. I love the way he uses shadows and colors. I mean on page 3 where he has the 2 gunmen under the arch with the shadow of the city in the background, is truly a piece of work. Or the scene on page 15 where he's talking to Claudio in the shadow of the pillars. Seriously, you could take that right out of the book and frame it. His style really is that good. And what I really like is that even though they've each taken on separate projects, over the course of the 83 issues, they've always kept the creative team in tact. So the book has had the same feel over the whole course of the run. Fantastic! Oh, and is case I forgot, Dave Johnson has been turning in stellar covers since day 1. This whole series is something to be treasured. If you haven't been buying the books, at least go out and try out 1 of the Trade Paperbacks. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment