Wednesday, June 20, 2007

All*Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder - #5 - DC


I want to say up front that I like this book. I really like this book. I think Jim Lee is amazing. And, when Frank Miller is on his game, I think he's pretty amazing also. But it kind of aggravates me, that there's been what?, 14 or 15 months between this issue and last? I mean seriously. We've had about 5 or 6 issues of All*Star Superman come out between this issue and last. The whole 52 series came out between this issue and last. Almost the whole Alex Ross Justice series came out between this issue and last. The Firestorm series came . . . and went . . . between this issue and last. Do you get what I'm saying here? It's kind of hard to follow a story, that you didn't know for sure, was ever really going to come out again or not. And I really don't like to place blame. But let's look at the facts. Jim Lee has had a lot of stuff come out between now and then. Maybe not his own. But, as the Editorial Director of Wildstorm . . . he's had a lot of stuff hit the shelves. Frank Miller? Not so much. A movie . . . 300. But . . . I wouldn't think a guy like Frank was so self absorbed, that he couldn't put together 1 or 2 comic scripts in all that time he spent in Canada. I mean, yeah it was a movie about his books, but did he have to be there every second of every day. Did he have no time at all that he couldn't have put a script or two together? Did it even cross his mind that he had 4 issues of this fantastic book, dangling out there, with no ending, and tens of thousands of fans clamoring for the next issue? And look at that variant cover up there, the one that I paid $10 for. It seems kind of a cop-out, compared to the other work we've seen from him. I mean, the Jim Lee cover, which I paid $3 for . . . was far superior to that one. And I know some of you out there are saying, "So what. The book came out. It's a fantastic story. Let it go." As far as the story goes, I agree with you. Phenomenal! The artwork is brilliant. But letting go how he treats his fans? I can't do it. I would've rather that Jim Lee just took over the whole book and ran with it, than to keep us waiting this long for another issue. It's absurd. But as long as we tolerate it . . . . as long as we keep buying the books that come out 10, 12 or even 16 months between issues . . . . they're going to keep doing it. And doing it without apologies. I just have a hard time when we, the consumer, or we, the fan, are treated like that. And it shouldn't be acceptable!

No comments:

Post a Comment