Thursday, June 07, 2007

Countdown #51 - DC


I finally made it to this series. Like the 52 series, this one is also going to focus on the b-list characters. The ones that don't have their own series. From this first issue, I would guess that we have 3 main things going on here. With this issue they seem random, but I'm sure in the weeks and months ahead, everything will start to come together. First I see a storyline with Darkseid. I'm not sure what that is yet, but to him it's like a chess game. With the heroes of earth being all the playing pieces. All we see is Desaad and Darkseid so far. But I'm sure this will play out more. Secondly, I think that we're going to be dealing with a storyline in the magical realm of the DC universe. Maybe not entirely, but at least as far as Mary Marvel goes. But I can't imagine the story will be only about her. That's why I'm thinking that this may be a storyline to redefine the magical rules here. I mean we've been told that they've all been changed, or redefined. But we haven't been given even a glimpse of how that's going to affect all our established magical characters. So that's what I think is going to happen with that area. Third we have a storyline with the monitors. I'm guessing here, but I think that now that the multiverse has been reestablished, there's some people on our earth, that were not originally intended to be here. So I'm guessing that they're going to start trying to put people back in their place. I don't think that there's any malicious intent to their actions. If anything they're trying to keep the balance. But, some of these characters are going to have to be forced in to going back to where they belong, so I think they're going to be perceived as antagonistic. Now really, this is all just speculation and conjuncture on my part, but I think that we're counting down, because when this series is all wrapped up, the multiverse will have a defined set of rules and permanent homes for some of these characters. Also I think that we'll have a clearer picture, if that's possible, of what's going on in the magical realm. Who the new players are, how the power structure is going to play out, and what exactly the rules and conditions are now that they're different. And then this Darkseid storyline will play out however it's intended. I'm sure we'll see a lot of our favorite characters. In this issue alone, we see Duela, who actually ends up dead, Jason Todd, Mary Marvel, Heatwave, the Trickster, and the Pied Piper, all the originals, and talk about . . . . . Ray Palmer. Good start to a new series. Like I said, it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out in the weeks and months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment