Saturday, June 23, 2007

PainkillerJane - #0 & #1 - Dynamite Entertainment




I enjoyed these books much more than the TV series. If you're reading this, then take a glance at my reviews of the shows. And when you take the cost of my satelite TV monthly, and divide it by the number of shows I watch in the summer, this form of entertainment probably cost me less also. Anyways, #0 was a prequel, or actually intro into the new series, with the new creative team. It's good to see Jimmy Palmiotti and Joe Quesada back on the title. Although it would've been nice to see Joe on pencils. But . . if we got everything we wished for . . . we wouldn't need the internet. My only complaint about issue #1 was that there was a lot of dialogue. But I understand that with this incarnation, so close on the heels of the new TV series, there's going to be a lot of new readers. And they need to be brought up to speed. When that happens, its a little frustrating to us long time fans, but it's a necessary evil of the form. I guess. Anyways, #0 was all action. Like I said, it was meant as a teaser to draw us in. Or new people in. Whatever? And issue #1 exploded out of that issue, literally. The reason I don't like the TV show is because in it Jane is just a supporting character. I know! You're saying to yourself, "How can that be? It's the PaneKiller Jane show!". And I agree with you. But apparently they want to play down her abilities a bit and focus more on her police and detective work. Which to me is the wrong choice. But hey, I still got the books. If I want to see Jane die, and come back, I got my wish with issue #1. She dies, I think, 3 times in this issue alone. This is exactly the type of story I was hoping for with the TV series. But hey, at least I got it here. Both issues are great. I'm not a huge Lee Moder fan, but, I have to admit, I like his style in these books. Maybe he's diggin' these books a bit more, or maybe he's trying something a little different, or maybe he's got a different inker . . . I don't know. But I will say that I found these books to be very . . . visually appealing. Of course it didn't hurt that Jane was half naked through the whole issue. But hey, Lee drew that. So . . . it got my attention. I tried not to get sucked in to the whole multiple cover thing. I think this one came out with 4 or 5 different regular covers, and then there was still an incentive cover. I don't know. This still seems like a marketing ploy to me. But then, I'm cynical sometimes. So anyways, I just picked out the cover I liked the best, and came home and enjoyed the book. Dynamite is really trying to be a viable alternative to the big 2. 3 if you count Image. But since I buy like 2 Image books, they don't seem that big to me. Anyways, this is the first title that they've published though that I've actually been interested in the character. Well, there will be 2 when the Boys come out. I can't wait. But, I've seen a lot of good reviews about their other titles. They just aren't my cup of tea. But hopefully with their talent pool, some pretty amazing characters, and hopefully a good vision and business plan, they'll be able to take a good foothold in today's market. They seem to be doing ok so far. We'll just have to wait and see if they have the staying power though. So far, it looks like they're on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment