Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wonder Woman #38 - DC

It appears that Alkyone is going to get her way . . Diana is scheduled to be executed. I'm not sure what her ultimate goal is, but . . she's trying to knock out some of the others along the way. For some reason she's got Achilles wrapped around her finger. I don't even think they've consummated their marriage. So he must be afraid of her, but I don't understand why. Anyways, she manipulates him into following through with her plans. She's got to know that Artemis and the rest of the Bana-Mighdall will raise up with arms before they'll let this happen. But I think that's what she's counting on. I think she's hoping that in the melee the Amazons will wipe out most of the men. But the part I don't understand is . . Alkyone has risen to this position of power. I can't imagine that she'd want to give that up. But she keeps saying that once Diana is killed, their homeland can return to paradise island, with Hippolyta as their queen. In order to ensure this . . Alkyone has released the spirit of Genocide and allowed it to enter hers, and the rest of her circle's souls. While Alkyone is going through with the false execution . . remember, she just wants the Amazons to raise thier arms against the men . . Achilles has gone to Diana in her cell and they have come to an agreement. 'Diana, please. If I know anything about you, I know one thing. That you forgive those who have been foolish and come to regret their foolishness. I need you to use that forgiveness, on both of us. Alkyone must be stopped, Princess. I have done many misdeeds. But I will not allow you to sacrifice yourself. And we have a war to kill.' But it's a false execution because Alkyone has Phinea dressed up as Diana with a sack over her head. Remember, she's doing all of this to start a war. So . . she sacrifices Phinea anyways. It appears that besides all her other deceptions, she's also playing with some dark magic. 'Yes, I took poor Phinea in your stead. Because I made a bargain with the dark heart of Themyscira, Diana. And he wanted you alive. Meet the Cottus, Diana. Meet the maker of your flesh.' It's a big giant centipede looking demon . . with hundreds of human arms making up it's body. Next issue wraps up this story-arc, but . . I don't know if it'll wrap up this story, or just this chapter of it. I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty packed issue. I think Gail Simone is doing a terrific job here. Yes she's brought some changes, but . . it's ok to shake things up every now and then. These events, I think, are taking Diana to her lowest point . . ever! I have a feeling that it's going to be a while before she gets back to the person she was before all of this . . if ever. Aaron Lopresti, as usual, turns in some fantastic pages this issue. I've been a fan of his for quite a while, but I think I like his stuff on this book more and more with every issue. I can't wait to see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment