Thursday, November 05, 2009

Batman Unseen #3 - DC

Ok . . I really dig Kelley Jones' art. But . . I'm just not really sure where this story is going. I mean . . it's basically like any other Invisible Man story. Right? Yes it's different, in that it takes place in Batman's backyard. But . . the formula's the same. The mad scientist, played here by Dr Nigel Glass, discovers the formula for translucence. However, being discorporeal, literally losing sense of yourself, eventually drives the wielder of the gift mad. Dr Glass, in this issue, is at the point where he's decided to use his gift to get back an anyone who's ever done him wrong . . a landlord who threw him out, a woman who gave him up for another, and a Wayne Foundation scientist who fired him. And now Batman's on his short list because he dare stand against him. Also, the formula is a double-edged sword. While it does give the bearer certain freedoms, it also forces them into a form of slavery. First of all the chemical concoction is doing all kinds of bad things to the internal organs. And secondly . . the body is also adapting to the foreign intrusion. Each time the serum is taken, the effects last for a shorter and shorter period of time. So, in order to keep it up he has to use more serum. And the more serum he uses the more irreparable damage he's doing to his body and his psyche. Unfortunately, the good doctor, I think, is past the point of return. I don't see that there's any good outcome to this scenario. Actually, the best thing I see from this story is that background that we're getting on the Black Mask. Although some of this I've heard before. I'm sorry. I appreciate Doug Moench's talent, but . . I just don't see all that much originality in this story. I mean . . maybe we're introducing a new criminal to the Batman myths, but . . I just don't see this guy being around that much longer. He's going to burn himself out long before he makes a name for himself. Anyways, in my opinion . . Kelley Jones saves the book. If it wasn't for the art in this series . . I would see no reason to continue. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment