Thursday, November 26, 2009

the Ghoul #1 - IDW Publishing

To be perfectly honest with you . . the only reason I picked up this book is because it was by Steve Niles and Berni Wrightson. I had picked up their previous work for IDW, Dead, She Said and I thought it was pretty good. So when I saw this one, I had to give it a shot. This actually came out a couple of weeks ago, but I ran across the variant on E-Bay. Which is what brought it to my attention. My guy at the shop had 1 copy left. Anyways, the story is about this LAPD Detective, Lloyd Klimpt. He's got this special case he's been working on and through association he found out that the LAPD and NYPD had a special relationship with the FBSI, Federal Bureau of Supernatural Investigation. And more specifically, one of their chief operatives . . the Ghoul. Until he actually saw him, Lloyd was certain that the Ghoul was an urban legend. But through some special arrangements, he got him to come to LA and look into this case with him. In a nutshell . . he's looking into the Atwood family. 3 generations of movie stars. The problem is . . Lloyd thinks these women are all the same people. In fact the movie stars are just the most recent, and famous, part of this family. He did some digging and found out that the uncanny resemblance of these women actually go back 10 generations. They changed their last names a few times over the course of those years, but settled on Atwood for the last 3. However, before they can get started there's something the Ghoul wants to take care of while he's here . . 'Tonight is Walpurgisnacht, the night the devil, his demons, and all things evil walk the Earth. Don't worry, just a couple hundred, most likely.' How much do you want to bet that these 2 things are connected. I love Steve's work. He really writes this book with an old film-noir style. And what can I say about Berni. The guys a legend. It's hard to believe that he's 61 and still producing this good of work. Anyways, this was the introduction chapter, so hopefully we'll get more into the story next issue. Now if I can just pick up one of those variant covers . . cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment