Thursday, November 26, 2009

the Amazing Spider-man #613 - Marvel

You all know I'm a huge Spider-man fan. I love this book. But . . I gotta say . . so far, I'm not thrilled with Mark Waid's storyline here. Yes it's not what I expected . . Gauntlet to me presents the image of Kraven's family throwing all these villains at Spider-man that they've been culling to their side. But, so far all we've seen it Electro's attempt at stabilizing his powers. And, somewhere along the line, he found out that anybody can appease the masses by voicing their concerns and frustrations. All he really does is give a voice to how they feel about the economy, big business and the governments attempt at fixing the political and social climate by throwing money at it. All of the sudden . . he's the voice of the people. Previous transgressions be damned. If they only knew that he was really doing was counting on their 'power in numbers' to intimidate a certain newspaper owner into paying him not to attack his business. Basically, he's running a protection racket with the 'normal Joes' of NYC as his army . . his threat. And the only reason he's doing that is to garner the money to pay the Thinker to do something about his fluctuating powers. Of course he gets it . . the Thinker starts working on him, and . . right in the middle in comes Spider-man to throw a wrench in the mix. Unfortunately his involvement comes at the point where he ends up giving Max Dillon an unlimited surge . . by accident. Now he wants to use the power of the people . . both figuratively and literally, to hold the whole city hostage. It's interesting. It's not what I expected, but . . it is what it is. Unfortunately, to me . . it's just another Electro story. Next issue Spider-man will find a way to beat him, and . . we'll move on to the next threat. Not to much different than any other Electro story. Like I said . . it's interesting, just not that original. Also I'm not thrilled with Paul Azaceta's art. It's very choppy and plain, and really has a kind of 70's type look to it. I'll continue buying the book. I'm just not thrilled with this story-arc. I can't wait until it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment