Thursday, November 05, 2009

Lobo - Highway to Hell #1 - DC

I knew this book was coming, but . .honestly , I forgot all about it. The black & white picture here was the one that was originally posted for this book. It ended up on the back cover. But . . it was so neat, I had to include it. This time Lobo's adventures are being chronicled by Scott Ian and Sam Keith. Lobo has been one of my favorite characters for a long time. With his recent inclusion in the Reign in Hell storyline, I knew he'd be popping up somewhere. Sooner or later. Anyways, with this issue, Lobo gets a present from Satan . . some dead dolphins. And a note . .'Call me, Bitch! Love Satan! 1-666-C-U-N-HELL (yes, that's actually my number)' So basically, Lobo spends to whole issue . . first trying to get in to hell. Remember, he's been banished. And then . . then he wants to find Satan and make him pay for the fishes. 'Nobody kills Dolphins while I'm sucking air. Not on my watch. No one.' At the end, when he finally reaches Satan, he finds her to be a little girl. Dressed in a fluffy blue dress. What the hell? I love Sam's art, and his interpretation of Lobo. But, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Scott's writing. To me the best part was all the little jokes that Scott has put into this story. Right in the beginning Lobo is watching TV and he comments, 'That Ben Linus is an evil prick.' You know? From LOST! When Lobo is trying to get to Satan, his first stop is the River Styx. There he has some hilarious dialogue with Charon. And the boat is a luxury ocean liner. Why wouldn't it be? I mean, there's got to be a whole lot of people in hell. Nowadays, anyways. There's also a scene where Lobo accidentally kills Charon, and the rest of the souls on board the ship get mad and want to kill him. In the frenzy one of them says, 'Is that Gene Simmons? Gene Simmons killed Charon! Get him!' As he comes out of that fight, there's a scene where he looks like a warrior coming out of a pool of dead souls. He comments, 'I feel like a hung-over Frazetta painting.' He also keeps calling Satan 'Lucyfer'. And then there's all the hell jokes. 'I wonder what the hell this hole's called.' 'Where in the hell are we?' When he's driving in to hell there's a little blurb on the bottom of that page that reads, 'Due to rights clearance issues in hell, the lyrics to Pantera's Cowboys from Hell have been omitted here. Just hum along.' And when he finally reaches downtown hell he's attacked by swarms of dead souls and hells faithful. As he's fighting them, and looks like he's covered in a ocean of demons, he says . . 'Good thing I'm hungry, you demon scum! Because tonight . . We Dine In Hell! I've always wanted to say that.' You know . . that quote from 300. Anyways, I thought it was a great first issue. There's actually only 2 to this book, but . . we'll see what happens after that. Hopefully this is just a little unfinished business Lobo has to take care of before he heads back out into the real world. Well . . the DC world, anyways. Oh, and Lobo said 'What the Frack?' long before it became a catch-phrase on Battlestar Galactica. It's great to have you back . . 'Bastich!'

No comments:

Post a Comment