Friday, November 13, 2009

Dark X-Men #1 - Marvel

I really didn't know what to expect with this book, but . . I picked it up anyways. I liked the Simone Bianchi cover, and . . I thought the first mini-series of these characters was interesting. But it all paid off because at the end . . . well . . I'll save that for a little while. Norman has kept this group of X-Men in action . . well, all except Emma. She was never really on board anyways. He's kept them on the payroll because he believes he can use them. After all he has the perfect excuse for their actions . . 'Mutants policing mutants.' The issue starts out with ordinary individuals acting like lemmings. They all seem to be under someones control, chanting 'I'm an X-Man', and they keep putting themselves in harms way. Norman sends the team out to California to investigate, but they find a much bigger mystery than they expected. Although none of the individuals are mutants, a power begins to spike in them. It's enough power to drive Weapon Omega and Mimic over the edge. After a while though, things finally start to come together . . after much damage is done to the little suburb that they're visiting. The power seems to coalesce and a form begins to take shape. It seems that all of this was the result of one man. One man who seems to desperately be trying to pull himself together and bring himself back to the real world. He finally takes form and asks Mystique, who currently looks like Jean Grey . .'Please help me. I'm trying to get home.' The man? None other than Nathaniel Grey . . X-Man. He's finally back. I'd heard rumors that he was coming back, but no specifics as to where and when. The question now is . . what's Norman going to do with him? I thought this was a great issue. I especially like the dialogue that Paul Cornell scripted between the various members of this team. He's definitely given them each their own unique personality. This is definitely going to be an interesting series. I mean . . . look how it starts . . with a bang! Leonard Kirk does the pencils. We also get a back-up story by Duane Swierczynski and Steve Dillon showing us a little of the relationship between Cable and Hope. It still doesn't give us to much information, but it does give us a little insight into the vigorous training that Cable has been subjecting her to. Anyways, I can't wait until next issue . . the cover looks amazing. I don't usually include up-coming covers, but . . this time I thought it was relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment