Friday, November 13, 2009

Batman and Robin #6 - DC

This book just gets more and more intense with every issue. And I have to admit, as much as I love Frank Quitely's work . . Philip Tan brings an energy and feeling to this book that I don't think Frank could. I still love Frank's work, but . . I think Grant and Phillip are definitely the dream team here. Which is to say that I think Grant Morrison is a genius. But we already knew that. As intricate and involved as his stories are, I also love the humor that he puts into them. The guy on the pink cover is Flamingo. He's the assassin that el Penitnete has brought to Gotham to take out the Red Hood . . the thorn in his side. Anyways, when Damian finally sees him, after all the hype, he says . . 'I was expecting scary . . not gay!' So the Flamingo really lets it all out on Jason. If Dick and Damian hadn't have gotten involved, I'm sure that Jason would be dead now. As it is, Scarlet has given up. After she sees what Flamingo is doing to everybody else, she just knows that there's no way that she stands a chance. Although, she does give it one last effort as she jumps on Flamingo's back and cuts his ear off. The girls got heart . . if nothing else. Which is when Jason attacks him with a piece of construction equipment and throws him off the top of the building. Now I have some questions, and they come in the exchange between Jason and Dick at the end. They're yelling at each other, and Jason says 'Help me? . . it's . . it's too late for me, Grayson. It was always too late for me.' Anyways, next thing we know the Commissioner and the Police are there. Did they hear any of that conversation? Then when he's being loaded into the paddy wagon, Jason is screaming . .'You think any of this would be happening if he was here? You recovered his body! Don't tell me the kid's mother can't find a Lazarus pit! The brought me back! How can you live with yourself! He's still dead because of something you can never admit! You just couldn't stand the fact that you were always gonna be in his shadow!' So . . if Jim wasn't sure that the Batman was different . . he's probably got a pretty good idea now. Anyways, in the melee Flamingo shot Damian point blank in the back. He says he can't feel anything from his waist down. But Talia's paramedics come and pick him up. Also Scarlet has escaped. As she's driving over the bridge, out of Gotham her mask finally comes off. So now . . nobody knows what she looks like. I have a feeling she'll be back to haunt Damian. Also we see that the Flamingo is not dead, as he calls Oberon Sexton to make some kind of deal with him. You know . . that mysterious guy that showed up in Gotham last issue. And . . on the final page . . we see a picture of Batman going through a tunnel and opening some kind of vault. His password? 'Zur En Arrh' Could this be Bruce? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Next issue Blackest Night comes to this title, so . . maybe that's how he got here. We'll just have to wait until next issue to find out. I think this is a fantastic book. Yes it's different, but . . that's ok. It sets itself apart from the rest. I wasn't sure what to expect when this all started, and I definitely didn't know how I felt about it after the first issue, but . . I have to say . . I think it's getting better and better every time. Grant's definitely finding his groove, again. And . . we're only just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment