Thursday, November 26, 2009

Justice Society of America #33 - DC

This issue leads directly into the new title next month . . JSA All-Stars. Stepping back a bit though . . most of this issue is spent with the Society fighting all of these villains that have come to collect the bounties on all of these various members heads. And we still don't know why Courtney is off limits. Anyways, as it turns out, the All American Kid was responsible for the whole thing. I know, he convinced everybody last issue that is was really King Chimera. Well it turns out that there never really was an All American Kid. He's actually Jeremy Karne . . Kid Karnevil, a sociopath and killer. But he still completed his mission. His sole mission was to attack the Justice Society and obtain Obsidian . . which he completes this issue. All he has to do is pick up the egg that Obsidian has regressed himself into. Easy peesy! Obsidian gets taken away by the shadowy figure that was working with Kid Karnevil, but when the kid confronts Michael he's captured . . along with about a dozen other of the villains. So obviously Dr Fate's attempt at healing Michael worked. And, Dr Fate is the one that actually turns the tide with all the villains. 'Something happened in there . . I'm not sure what . . while I was trying to pull Mister Terrific back from the brink of death. It's like something got unlocked, or a door was kicked open, or . . hell, I don't know. But all of a sudden I knew what I was doing. For a brief moment, I felt like the other Kent Nelson . . the one who could command all of the forces of the supernatural.' So obviously we'll see more of him in the book now . . at least . . one of the books. Because next issue the JSA will be . . 'A House Divided'. I'm sure we'll get all the details of whose on what team between JSA #34 and All-Stars #1. Meanwhile I thought this was a great issue. Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges did a great job of wrapping up this story. Sure there's still some villains out there that may return for the massive bounties, and . . we still don't know who hired them all, but . . other than that, everything else is wrapped up and now our team has decided to split because of a difference in ideologies. Bill and Matt did a great job leading the team down this dark path. Oh yeah, we also don't know why they wanted Obsidian. And, as much as I miss Dale Eaglesham's pencils on this book, I really like the fresh look that Jesus Merino is bringing to these characters. Yes I was sad when the old guard left, but . . I guess it was time to shake things up a bit. I think the book is just as strong now as it's ever been. Even with half of them leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment