Thursday, November 05, 2009

the Last Days of Animal Man #6 - DC

I really enjoyed this series. The Brian Bolland covers kind of put me in mind of the old book, but . . it wasn't the old book. And it didn't need to be. This series focused on the Last Days of Animal Man. As I said in one of my earlier blogs . . the last days of Animal Man, not necessarily the last days of Buddy Baker. Last issue ended with Buddy being at the mercy of Prismatik and Bloodrage. Remember, he stopped at the laboratory before the fight. Well it turns out that although Buddy is steadily losing his powers, he could still converse with certain life-forms . . primitive life-forms . . bacteria. So what he did was . . he went into the fight with the Bubonic Plague. As soon as it started to affect Prismatik, the crystals that were holding the League of Titans began to lose their strength. It wasn't long before the heroes broke out and went and rescued Buddy. However, to me the best part of the story was the interaction between Buddy and his family. To me it was almost reminiscent of a man going through a mid-life crisis. His seat of power is diminishing . . his virility and youth, but . . he still has plenty of things in life worth living for. He just has to decide which are most important to him, and which are worth working to hang on to. In the end he goes back to work for the League. Not as Animal Man, but as Buddy Baker. Which is what they want. A normal person to watch over their operations. 'In this world, in this life, I finally have the answer I've been looking for. Life is a choice. I choose to live.' I think Gerry Conway and Chris Batista did an excellent job with this book. I'm sure it'll be out in TPB form before to long . . for those of you who didn't pick it up. It really was an enjoyable story. But . . it's not set in stone. This doesn't have to be the future of the League or of Buddy Baker. As he himself says, 'I am who I am, where I am, because of the choices I made. We all are. Different choices . . different me, different us, different life, different world.'

No comments:

Post a Comment