Sunday, November 22, 2009

Azrael #2 - DC

Seeing as how this is a new series, and we've barely scratched the surface of this character . . I really wasn't sure what to expect going in to this issue. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by the superb story that Fabian Nicieza crafted here. First of all Michael Lane, Azrael, has someone helping him out now, Adrian Paratino. He's an information broker, and Michael's contact when he's in the field and he needs some information or a question answered. Kind of his own Oracle, if you will. Anyways, he helps him out this issue because Ra's al Ghul has decided to send the White Ghost to Gotham to test this guy out. As he puts it . . 'Are you worthy of serving the Demon's Head? And with that determination are answered matters of life and death, right and wrong. Those worthy of serving live to serve.' So he sets up a test for him. He's captured 2 people, a man and a woman, and have them hanging capriciously from the top of Gotham's twin towers. The White Ghost wants Azrael to choose which one he's going to save, since he obviously doesn't have enough time to do both. He tells Azrael their names, and that the woman is a Minister's wife, and the boy has fled Syria because he's suspected of killing some people with a car bomb. From Adrian he finds out that the woman is also an adulteress, and the man may be guilty but he may have been framed. With that information in hand, he then turns the gambit back upon the White Ghost. 'You better make your choice now. Earlier, I asked you "why?". I didn't mean "why are you doing this?", I meant "why should I?". This isn't a test of my character, it's a test of yours. If you let someone you know is innocent die . . then how can you be worthy of serving any higher cause?' The ropes break, almost simultaneously and the White Ghost saves the man, while Michael catches the woman. And then . . to add insult to injury, Michael also tells the White Ghost 'Tell your boss . . that tonight . . you both failed my test. Eventually all false prophets and the acolytes who serve them . . will face God's judgement.' I thought that was a fantastic twist of the story. Also at the end, Adrian had mentioned to Michael earlier that the more traditional members of the Order of Purity were beginning to accept him because there was a package arriving from Europe to help them out. It turns out that the package is intended for Adrian, and it's a dagger. 'Only one thing forged by man can quiet the screaming voices of madness brought on by the Suit of Sorrows. The question then, Mr Paratino . . when the time comes . . will you be able to deliver the message?' I think Fabian is doing a fantastic job with the story here. But this issue I was really impressed with Ramon Bachs' pencils. I don't know if he had a different inker or colorist this issue, but . . the whole book looked fantastic. I like Ramon's work, but honestly . . this was the best thing I've seen from him yet. The whole book had a great feel to it. Anyways, I think we're off to a great start and I can't wait to follow the adventures of this character.

No comments:

Post a Comment