Thursday, November 26, 2009

HULK #17 - Marvel

I like this book. I really do. I think Jeph Loeb is a fantastic writer, and I really love Ian Churchill's work. But the frustrating thing about this book is . . here we are 17 issues into it, and . . we still don't know who the Red Hulk is. We've been able to cancel out a lot of our suspicions. But the only real hints we get are vague . . to say the least. And now we have another mystery . . who is the Red She-Hulk? Anyways, last issue, and this one, we find out that Doc Samson, who works for the same people that the Red-Hulk does has double-crossed them . . and him. We don't really know why. The only thing I can think is that he also doesn't know the Red Hulk's secret. Maybe he thought that if he got to Domino first that he'd be able to drag it out of her. The Red Hulk thinks that he's doing it at their request because they want to show him that they can lead him around by the nose. Yes he's very powerful, but . . they still control him. And . . I think they want to show him that he's expendable. The whole issue the Red Hulk is comparing what he's been going through to that of what Bruce went through when the world first found out that he was the Hulk. The loneliness, the isolation . . I think it's all starting to get to him. This issue started out with Thundra being the only one on his side . . truly there to help him. However, after a little speech by Elektra at the end of the book . . the Red Hulk is going to make good on his promises to the Crimson Dynamo, Deadpool and the Punisher. 'Whatever else you think of your "team", you need all the friends you can get. Or at least less enemies to be gumming up your plans. For now, I'll take an IOU. Having "the strongest there is" on my side someday . . is worth more than what you owe me.' And at the end he makes a decision. 'Everything I've worked for since Banner's Hulk declared war on the world will have to be brought down. I'm going to have to forge an alliance with the last person anyone will expect . . since I can't do it alone.' I think he's going to team up with . . the Hulk. Anyways, I think it was a good book. It brought a lot to light. Not enough to figure out the 'secret', but . . it gave us an insight into the character of the person behind the Red Hulk. That's better than nothing . . I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment