Thursday, November 26, 2009

New Mutants #7 - Marvel

I have to admit . . I'm liking this story-line. Doug Ramsey was one of my favorite New Mutants . . way back when. He was the little nerdy boy who's only real power was that he could read any language. I like the way they explored that theme last issue by having him read the language of movement as he was fighting his former New Mutant teammates. I thought that was an interesting twist. Then, the first time around, he was infected by the techno-organic virus before he was killed. I always wondered how he could've died if he was mostly a computer program. Anyways, this whole Necrosha thing with Selene has brought him back to life. But seeing as how she's also using a variation of the techno-organic virus to perform her 'miracles', it only seems natural that he appears to be fighting his programming. The only part I don't understand is why Selene is so hell-bent on regaining control of him. The Hellions were sent to attack the X-Men, but now all their effort is focused on retrieving Doug and rebooting him. I mean, other than Selene losing one of her followers, I don't know what the big deal is. The most he can do is tell the X-Men who's behind all of this, but they would've figured that out sooner or later anyways. The only thing I can think of, if Doug does break free of Selene's programming, he may be able to help the X-Men figure out a way to bypass or negate it. Anyways, the Hellions are trying to bring him back in, and Tarot is disciplining him for having any contact with Warlock at all. 'You were to stay away form your friend from the start . . regardless . . you've eaten the apple. The damage is done.' During Doug's fight with Warlock he took his head off and tossed it into the ocean. Doug thinks he's dead, but again . . it's a robot. Who's to say the seat of power is in it's head? But regardless, on the final page we see the head sinking down in the water. It looks like the head is sparking, or something, but as it goes deeper it gets dimmer and dimmer. He's come back from a lot worse than this, so . . I can't imagine that this will slow him down. I thought it was an ok book. I like seeing all these characters back together again, and it looks like eventually Doug and Warlock will also be rejoining the fold. I think Zeb Wells is doing a pretty decent job with the story. Although I'm not overly thrilled with Diogenes Neves pencils. The characters themselves aren't bad . . a little to 'plain' for me. But . . he uses little or no background in most of his panels. I like these character enough that it won't affect my purchase, but . . I really wish they'd get a better artist here. That's just my input.

No comments:

Post a Comment