Friday, November 13, 2009

Green Arrow / Black Canary #26 - DC

First of all I want to comment on the art this issue. The opening sequence, a dream of Ollie's where he returns to the island and gets some sage advice from his younger self, is drawn by Mike Norton and Bill Sienkiewicz. It is fabulous. Mike and Bill really work well together. It kind of had the feeling of the Year One mini-series that Jock did the art for, but . . personally, I think it was better. It really looked good. Then on the main story, where Diana and Mia are trying to figure out which Oliver is the real one and which is Hannibal Bates . . aka Everyman, the art is by Renato Guedes. Either this guy is getting better, or . . his work is just growing on me. I wasn't overly thrilled with his work on Superman. The guys got a good eye, and good composition, but . . I just don't like the way it's finished. I guess that's just his style, but . . it's just not one of my favorites. However, I do like his stuff better on this book. I don't know . . maybe it's because of all the action . . maybe because of the fight scenes . . it just catches my eye more. Anyways, Diana obviously figures out who is who . . she just had to look for the scar on his neck where she stabbed him, and now the race is on. Neither Ollie or Diana appreciate being messed with . . although I'm not sure that was Hannibal's intentions. I think that's he's been Ollie for so long that he actually believes it to be true. As their chasing him he's drugged by someone else. I'm guessing that it's Cupid. But we'll have to wait until next issue to find out. Also it appears that there's someone else behind all of this. We see 2 guys talking in the shadows, but we don't really know what their involvement is just yet. I think Andrew Kreisberg is doing a fantastic job here, also. I really like the way he's handling these characters and the adventure he's taking them on. Also, I like the way he's getting creative with the back-up stories. He's got these 8 or 10 extra pages each issue and he's using them to further the story . . explain the parts between the lines . . rather than just do a back-up about, well . . anyone. It think it's very creative. I was worried when the creative change took place here, but . . I actually think the book is stronger now. I'm sorry . . we also get a fantastic Ladronn cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment