Friday, November 13, 2009

Batgirl #4 - DC

I have to say . . I'm really impressed with Bryan Q Miller's writing. This book is mostly about Stephanie, but . . she also share's time with Babs, who's trying to help Wendy. So . . it's kind of a team-book. Sort of. I have a feeling that Wendy's role is going to keep growing as she and Babs wrestle with her condition and the path her life will take from here. Also, I'd be surprised if we don't see Helena or Diana in this book sometime soon. Anyways, this is the first issue with Stephanie's new costume, that Babs designed. She's set it up to let her monitor her while she's out doing what she likes to do best . . look for justice. For the most part, her first night out is a roaring success. We see a little bit of what the new costume can do . . some of the gadgets and tricks. But I think what's really going to make this book is Stephanie and Barbara's character, and personalities. These 2 play off of each other really well. You'd almost think it was kind of a 'big-sister' thing, but I think they're going to keep it mostly professional . . mentor and student. Babs is even helping her with her studying for college. However, I think Babs and Wendy's relationship is going to be much closer. Babs sees something of herself in Wendy, and it's driving her crazy that she won't open up and let her help. But this issue she at least gets her to talk, and I think Babs helps her more just by listening than anything else. I definitely think their relationship will grow from here. Anyways, Bryan, I think, has done a terrific job of expressing all of this throughout this issue. You can really feel the emotions between these characters. He's off to a great start. Lee Garbett is helped out this issue by Tim Levins on the art. Overall I really liked the look and feel of this book. I have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment