Thursday, November 26, 2009

Green Lantern #48 - DC

I should've read this story before reading Blackest Night #5, but . . that's ok. We've all read flashback stories before. That's what this was kind of like. In Blackest Night #5 we see the results of the team that is gathered here. Here . . here we see what brought them all together. And, even if I had looked at this first, the blurb at the top of page one says that these events take place before issue #6. So I really wouldn't have thought anything of it. But that's neither here nor there. Like I said, this issue shows Hal Jordan and company gathering up the last 2 vestiges of their spectral assault by going to Okaara where Larfleeze and Atrocitus seem to be fighting to the death. We get a little more background on Larfleeze, but the most information comes from Atrocitus' recalling of the decimation of his planet, Ryut in space sector 666. They've returned here because this is where the Black Power Battery was brought to fruition. However, by the time they arrive they find out that it's been moved. You know where if you read Blackest Night #5. Anyways, while here, Atrocitus recalls the attack by the Guardians and the Manhunters. He doesn't know that by that time the Manhunters were pretty much acting of their own volition, but . . I don't think explaining it to him would've helped much. He feels so much remorse and grief that we see the angry, self-loathing Atrocitus brought to his knees. It's kind of a touching moment. Disturbing. But touching. Anyways, we also see the agreement that's struck between Larfleeze and Sayd for his help. 'If you assist us, Larfleeze, I will pledge my everlasting servitude to you. The Guardians have blood on their hands, Ganthet. The massacre of this space sector is simply the first in a long list of failings. Sacrifices must be made by us.' Apparently this little group is calling themselves the New Guardians. I think I actually preferred reading this book first because then I didn't try to second guess what was going to happen next the whole time. I tend to do that. So since I already read Blackest Night #5, this issue just kind of served as an informative issue for me. Anyways, Geoff Johns scripted a great story here . . yet again. It'll be interesting to see the changes in all of these Corps, and there relationships to one another after all of this is over. Speculating again . . since the Guardians won't be trusted enough to lead the Corps because of their deceptions, I can see a council with a representative from each Corps sitting on it. The Guardians may be the 'managers', but I can see this council be the governing authority. Although, I haven't figured out how they'll handle the Orange Corps since Larfleeze is really it's only member. Or, maybe the Guardians will be split up . . one to each Corps. Obviously they won't be in charge, but maybe they'll somehow be involved in the decision process. I don't know. I'm just guessing. But we'll find out in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment