Sunday, November 22, 2009

the Flash Rebirth #5 - DC

3 months between issues this time . . 2 last. And it's been almost 7 months since the first issue came out. But . . I'm not complaining. I actually couldn't wait to read this issue. Timeliness be damned. The thing I noticed about this issue is that I have a feeling that the 'Rebirth' part of this title is going to be literal. It seems like Zoom is trying to deconstruct Barry's life. We find out this issue that he's been going back in time and messing with Barry even before he knew who he was. Whether it's all true or not has yet to be determined, but . . Zoom is claiming that he broke his arm in the 6th grade, 'Someone pushed you down the stairs at school. But when you looked back . . no one was there.' And that's just the tip of the iceberg. 'Do you remember the electrical fire that burned down your first house in Fallville? or the day you moved to Central City and you left the back door open? Your dog ran out and got hit by a car. What if every bad thing that happened to you was orchestrated by one person? By an enemy you hadn't even made yet?' Then Barry starts putting the pieces together. All those years he spent trying to prove that his father didn't kill his mother. Well? He didn't. Zoom did! But . . Barry's confused. He's never been able to change the past. However, Zoom is claiming that because of his negative speed-force . . he's able to do so. But . . all those incidents . . to Zoom, they just aren't enough. He's decided he's going to erase the one thing in Barry's life that's always kept him grounded . . Iris. 'I'm going to take her away from you in every way, Barry. Before you two ever married, before you even dated. She's going to die. And you're going to forget her . . . . as long as I kill Iris . . everything will be all right.' I do have one question though. In this issue everybody . . everybody that is a Flash joins in the fight. Now . . they're all related to Barry. Right? Well . . except for Jay. But we have Wally, Bart, Max, Jesse and even Iris . . whom apparently is the new Impulse. I guess the problems that her and Jai were having with the speed-force was because they're twins and they've basically been fighting for control over it . . thier connection. But once Iris lets go, because she doesn't want to hurt her brother, Jesse comes zooming in saying that she's been guided here by her father, Johnny Quick. Remember . . his spirit is stuck in the speed-force now. I think. Anyways, she touches Iris, saying the speed-formula and . . I guess, gives her her own connection to the force. 'Your daughter is one of us now, Irey West. She's the next generation.' I'm sorry . . that was long and involved, but . . my question through all of that is . . if Zoom does deconstruct Barry . . wouldn't that pretty much eliminate everybody except for Jay? And I guess, Jesse. I like what Geoff Johns is doing with this story here, but . . I think he might be opening the flood-gates. If things proceed the way they look like they're going . . things could be falling like dominoes pretty quick. Oh no! I just realized . . there's only 1 more issue in this series. And I haven't heard anything about what's going on after this. Anyways, great story by Geoff. It really sucked me in. And, as always, Ethan Van Sciver's art was phenomenal. I can't wait to see what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. After this is the new Flash ongoing with a cofeature, possibly starring West. I thought this issue was okay. My main problem with itis the art. I have seen what EVS can do giving time, and this especially compared to the first few issues was actually a huge let down. Especially when you consider the delays involed. Characters looked wonky, postures were strange. I don't know, maybe I was just expecting too much,especially when compared with GL: Rebirth which was the same amazing team. But this book feels like Geoff has spread himself to thin lately with all the titles and BN he's been working on and this is the results. The ideas are clearly there for a great story but the exucution has created a watered down anticlimatic version instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit it, but . . I agree with you. The art in this issue did seem rushed. It wasn't up to the standard of the first issue or 2. As far as Geoff . . I can see where it may feel that way, but . . I think Geoff is a pretty intricate and precise writer, and planner. I'm sure he had this whole story plotted out from beginning to end before he did any of the dialogue. Maybe that's where some of the problem is . . the dialogue. As far as the story goes, and the ideas . . I think they're fantastic. But the dialogue in this book . . as compared to say, the JSA when that was the only book he was doing . . I can see your point. But isn't it that way with any fantastic writer, or artist, in comics . . once the fan base is established, they milk the crap out of them. And with Blackest Night, he's taken on a story that involves pretty much the entire DC Universe . . and then some. But I also think part of the problem is that some of the events in Rebirth are going to have a direct effect on Blackest Night. It seems like there's some things that he has to be careful how much information he lets out so that he doesn't spoil the other book. It seems the two had to be done pretty much simultaneously. A pretty daunting task for anybody.

    ReplyDelete