Thursday, November 05, 2009

Ultimate Comics Spider-man #004 - Marvel

I had high expectations for this book when it first came out. Why not? I mean, the first incarnation of this book was one of my favorites . . ever. So I picked up this title with high expectations, but . . I wanted to be realistic too. I mean . . can they strike lightning twice? Well . . yes they can. This book is quickly becoming my favorite Spider-man title once again. I think what I like the most about this book is the teen-angst. Peter is freaking out because he just found out that Johnny Storm is going to be moving in with him. On one hand he's probably excited . . he never had a brother, or any sibling for that matter. But, he's also concerned about the attention that Johnny will draw to them. Plus, it's ok to have a brother, but . . an older, better looking one isn't cool. Then we have the whole love/friend triangle between MJ, Peter and Gwen. Peter and Gwen are dating now, but . . they're also both MJ's best friends. Although she hasn't talked to them lately. She probably feels like the third wheel. However, when her manager hits on her after work,she realizes that she's been saying no to all these guys because of one thing . . they're not Peter. There's a new hero in town . . as seen on the cover. But we have no idea of gender, power-set or even name. All we know for sure is that they appear to be pretty strong, and can take a bullet. Oh yeah, and we also have Mysterio attacking Spider-man on the bridge by casting the illusion of a Hulk-attack. But the funny part is . . that, the whole Mysterio/Hulk things really is secondary to Peter's life and his all his drama. The book is written mostly about Peter's life, but then all this other 'stuff' happens that distracts him away from his real problems . . girls. I mean, who's really the bigger threat to Peter's well-being . . Mysterio? Or the 3 women in Peter's life . . MJ, Gwen and Aunt May. And that's not even taking Kitty into account. Anyways, we're only on issue #4 and already I think that Brian Bendis and David Lafuente are doing an incredible job here. Yes I miss Mark, but . . it's really the story that makes this book. And it's one hell of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment